CoinPeople.com

Steel Cent with Copper rim?

bobbycoin

I picked up a "steel" cent from the coin shop that has a copper (?) rim.

the front and back look just like a normal steel cent but the edge is copper collored similar to a bimetalic.

Looking at it from the side you wouldnt guess it was a steel cent.

Please refrain from "Pic please" and "a pic would help" replies becasue I am at work and plan on scanning the thing when I get home today.

Just looking for thoughts on what this may be? is it worth a lot? anyone want to buy it for $1,000+? :ninja:

-Bobby

I picked up a "steel" cent from the coin shop that has a copper (?) rim.

the front and back look just like a normal steel cent but the edge is copper collored similar to a bimetalic.

Looking at it from the side you wouldnt guess it was a steel cent.

Please refrain from "Pic please" and "a pic would help" replies becasue I am at work and plan on scanning the thing when I get home today.

Just looking for thoughts on what this may be? is it worth a lot? anyone want to buy it for $1,000+? :ninja:

-Bobby

Gee, a scan would help! ;);)

perhaps rust?

or it has been in some place that has coloured the rim?

If you look at the reverse, at "AMERICA" there's a damage like someone practiced with a chisel.... however, it's not copper colour... so the core of the coin is apparently not copper..

Bump...

Anyone have any idea...

I want to ask if it is possible for it to be some sort of plating... but that would mean I have a copper 1943 penny...

The date on this penny limits the possibilities of what this is.

Any ideas? Ideas on where I can find info?

-Bobby

go to Hobby lobby and Buy a kit with glue and Copper Foil. . . Gold foil works to With a little practice. . . . . . This can also be done more convincenly using certain chemicals and No I will not share which ones. . .

It is rust.

Unlike our current plated cents which are punched from the strip and then plated, the steel cent strip was plated BEFORE the blanks were punched from it so only the obv and rev faces were plated with zinc. The edges were smply raw mild steel and subject to rusting.