CoinPeople.com

Insane double overstriked coin!!! Incredible!

gxseries

This coin is actually a gift from Banivechi - thank you for spotting such great coin!!! ;):cry::ninja:

While overstriking coins aren't really new to Russia, the appearance of overstriked coins are usually ugly, if not confusing at times. And there are times when overstriked coins were again overstruck, not only to make the coins look uglier than ever before but also leaving almost no traces of the very first struck image that was supposed to exist in the first place.

And this is no exception:

903396.jpg

This coin survived more than 250 years of history and ridicious enviroments to tell a tale. Not only that, all three dates are perfectly preserved in this coin, which is almost impossible to occur on a double overstrike!!!

And here is a story of a typical double overstriked that occured during that era:

overstrikeexamples4gj.jpg

The reason why this was done was because the denomination was fixed upon the weight and value of copper at the time. As you can see, the coins were minted for quite a short period of time due to the instability of copper prices. And because there wasn't enough time to melt down the old planchets and create new ones, this is when overstriking occured.

And hence... the above coin is also no exception...

overstrike1front8ci.jpg

Except that this coin was lucky and it has all three dates present!!! ;)

The dates are as follows: 1759 2 kopeks over 1755 1 kopek over 1727 5 kopeks (WOW!!!)

Close up images of the numbers - Top number: 1727, bottom: 1755 -

doubledates2pm.jpg

The most probable reason of how three dates got preserved is most probably because the first overstrike didn't managed to make a huge impression and hence on the first strike the underlying image didn't disappear. However on the second strike, it seems that the strike too was slightly soft, and because of how the year 1755 just happened to be in the wreath area, it just managed to survive under such unusual strike. Not only that, the first date 1727 got preserved too!!! ;)

Unfortunately, the reverse side was slightly unlucky as it seems that the final overstrike did it's troll overall :lol: Nevertheless, this is quite a difficult find, if not almost a pure stroke of luck.

Feel free to check out my other overstriked coins that I have in omnicoin presently... :D

Hope you enjoyed reading :D

:ninja: If you look closer at the St. George's horse, over the back leg you will find the left neck and head of the small double headed eagle from 5 kop. 1727, and in field some traces of the clouds from 1 kop 1755! ;) And I'm curious what kind of rim it is... ;)

Congratulations on your very interesting coin. The triple date makes it an excellent example of the overstriking programs.

But can you find a 4 kopeks of Peter III showing these undertypes? Or maybe even a 2 kopeks of Catherine II overstruck on those?

At least in theory, you could have Catherine II 2 kopeks overstruck on Peter III (1762) 4 kopeks overstruck on 1757-62 2 kopeks over 1755-57 1 kopek over the 1723-30 krestovik (5 kopeks) for up to 4 different overstrikes all on the same coin!

To find this one with 3 different visible dates is very special. That is a nice coin!

Thank you Grivna1726! Yes, it's quite possible but I serious doubt if such coins can last over 4 overstrikes... :ninja:

I do have a few Peter III overstriked coins which you can see it at omnicoin. The real trouble is trying to find a 1k overstriked coin - for some reason it seems to be harder to locate...

Here are some of mine:

1763 2k over 1762 4k over some year

902085.jpg

1766 2k over 1762 4k

902086.jpg

And a 1788MM over 1762 10k... ;)

901736.jpg

Hopefully they are clear enough for you to see the underlying images... ;)

• 5 years later...

7pm obverse, just past the cipher, towards the edge.

WOW!!!! Sharp eyes, fellas! I looked right past the date because it blends in so well with the laurel wreath. I guess you really have to scrutinize all of these pyataks if you want to have a chance of finding overstruck coins. At least now I know what to look for on these 5K.

Archived